My Latest New Book

My Latest New Book
Fishing Different

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Sorry For The Short break

 It's been a couple of weeks since I posted here and I apologize for that. I have had boat troubles and also been very busy doing nothing but I'm fishing again. It's starting to get interesting again on the water. For a couple of weeks the bite was very bad but even now with temperatures of the water near 90 degrees, I'm starting to get interesting action again. I am nearly obsessed by a very big flathead catfish that I estimate is approaching 70 pounds. I had him to the boat a couple weeks ago and he broke off but I did get to see him. I had him on again last week and another angler on my boat hooked him yesterday and again he broke off. The big fish is moving around in an area  of about 100 yards around but he seems to stay in that general area. Flatheads seem to be somewhat territorial so that's not surprising. The Gar are also very active lately in the shallow water. Had a group out Thursday and they hooked this 36 inch gar.

The bass have been a little scarce but when caught they are big ones. Had a friend of my son's out yesterday and he landed several over three pounds.

The bait situation is variable lately. Both shiners and Salty's are available and they both work pretty well if you use the smaller one less than 3 inches. The Salty's are supposed to be cheaper but the stores are charging a premium for them, more than the shiners. Oh well, that another result of the virus I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment